When To Call A Garage Door Repair Technician
Many homeowners like to try to do it all when it comes to household repairs. With garage doors, however, it almost always pays to call in a professional rather than trying to fix the problem yourself. Because garage doors are extremely heavy and held under a great deal of tension, a do-it-yourself repair gone wrong can end in disaster. Instead of saving a few bucks, you could end up not only causing more damage to your garage door but also injuring yourself or a family member, creating a far more serious problem in the process.
At NationServe, we strongly encourage you to consult a garage door specialist rather than attempting repairs yourself. Whether it’s installing a completely new garage door or replacing a single garage door roller, there’s no job too big or too small for America’s garage door specialists.
When is a DIY garage door repair a bad idea?
Repairing garage doors on your own is risky because of how much weight and force garage door systems carry. Without the right training and expertise, you won’t be able to guarantee your safety while working on the door. A torsion spring that snaps, or a door that comes crashing down, could cause serious bodily harm for you or anyone else who is near the door.
DIY repairs can also end up costing you more in the long run. Trying to do it yourself may lead you to make the problem even worse, forcing you to pay more to have it fixed than the initial repairs would have cost. Plus, you might void your garage door warranty.
Although some tasks—like lubricating your door’s metal parts and testing your door’s safety features—can be done on your own (see our DIY Maintenance Tips), it’s best to hire a professional for both major and minor repairs.
What types of issues do garage door technicians fix?
Certified garage door technicians are trained to handle all types of garage door problems, ranging from complete door replacements to safety inspections, and slight adjustments.
In some cases, it’s obvious when you need to call a garage door expert—for instance, if your garage door opener stops working completely. Even if a problem seems minor, however, it’s best to call a professional to keep it from developing into a major issue. Here are some situations in which you should contact NationServe rather than trying to solve the problem on your own:
- Your garage door is making a lot of noise. Noisy garage doors can indicate all kinds of problems, from garage door rollers needing to be replaced to an off-balanced door. While it may just mean that your door requires more lubrication, it’s best to check with an expert to make sure it’s not a more serious issue.
- Your garage door’s photo eyes are malfunctioning. If you notice that your garage door’s photo eyes (safety sensor beams) are having trouble detecting objects in their path, contact NationServe right away. A problem with your door’s auto-reverse safety features can put everyone in your household—especially children and pets—in danger. One of our technicians will be able to tell whether the sensors simply need to be cleaned and readjusted or if they need to be replaced altogether.
- There are dents, cracks, or other blemishes on your door’s surface. Some garage door materials are more susceptible to damage and require more upkeep than others. If your wood door has started to warp or crack, or your garage door has a dent in it, a garage door expert can help you get your door looking like new again.
- Your garage door lurches and moves unevenly. Abrupt movements can be a sign of broken chains and cables, while uneven movement usually points to a problem with the door’s spring mechanism. With these types of issues, we recommend contacting NationServe immediately as attempting to repair the springs and cables yourself can lead to severe injury.
- Your garage door opener remote control is broken or missing. If your garage door remote breaks or goes missing, don’t panic. NationServe can provide you with new remotes and, if necessary, help you reset the receiver on your opener so your home stays secure.
Contact America’s Garage Door Specialists
If you suspect there’s a problem with your garage door, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Request a service from a NationServe technician to set your mind at ease. Here are some of the many repair services that we provide:
- Broken spring replacement
- Track replacement
- Panel replacement
- Photo eye sensor alignment
- Garage door roller replacement
- Garage door opener repair or replacement
- Garage door tune-ups and safety inspections
- Complete garage door panel replacement with Wayne Dalton doors
At NationServe, we’re here to help you with all your garage door repair needs, big or small. Many of our locations offer same-day emergency repair services for when urgent problems unexpectedly arise. Contact us today to learn more about our teams in 18 different locations across the country.