5 Clever Ways to Create Extra Storage in Your Garage
Clutter and mess can really constrict a space. Most garages look cramped, but with a clever storage system, you can create enough space to store your keepsakes and belongings. It’s just a matter of organizing your items and keeping up your efforts. With our help, you’ll be delighted to find plenty more space in your garage.
Here are some tips and clever ways to create extra storage in your garage:
1. Install Wall Shelves
Shelves are a great way to add extra storage in any room of your house. Your garage’s wall is like an empty canvas, and adding shelves will put it to good use. Take advantage of the extra space by picking up your clutter and stowing it on the shelves. This will give your garage that much needed sense of order.
- Unsecured shelves can result in accidents. Be sure to install your shelves correctly and securely to keep your family safe.
- To avoid lopsided shelves, create a wall plan and strategically mark where your shelves will go. Measure and sketch your space first before shopping for materials.
- If you want to achieve a clean look, opt for floating shelves.
- When you install your shelves, use wall studs to provide strong support.
2. Use Hooks and Hangers
If shelves are too bulky for you, you can use hooks and hangers instead. These items are fairly quick and easy to install. You can also hang and organize small and big items with this organizational system.
- Like shelves, hooks and hangers require proper wall studding and installation.
- Fix the hooks on the ceiling and install the hangers on the wall.
- Hang big items like your shovel, ladder, water hose, bikes, etc.
- For lighter and smaller tools and knick knacks, a great tip is to hang them in heavy-duty wire mesh instead.
3. Upcycle Old Cabinets to Create a Unique Shelving Unit
Breathe new life into old cabinets and shelves by using them as storage units. Look for unused cabinets and shelves at home or find a bargain at a garage sale.
- Paint used cabinets with colors of your choice. Have fun and play with bright colors but, if you want a clean, simple look, opt for white paint.
- To create that modern eclectic look, use different sizes and styles of cabinets and arrange them neatly in a row.
- Use decorative hardware to upgrade the look of your drawers and cabinets.
4. Create an Overhead Storage System
This one may need a little elbow grease, but it’s definitely worth the extra work. An overhead storage system is a clever and effective way to organize your belongings. You can stow heavy-duty items here, such as big boxes, bulky sport equipment, or seasonal items.
- Before planning your overhead storage system, assess your garage space first. Some houses have smaller garages, and some have 2 car garage doors with more room inside. Not all garage structures are built equally, so it’s important to make sure that your garage ceiling is capable of supporting heavy loads.
- If you’re unsure and don’t have experience with this kind of work, it’s best to consult professionals.
5. Use a Pegboard
Pegboards have become a must-have organizing tool these days. With a little bit of creativity, you can have a great wall accent that also neatly organizes your tools.
Use pegboards to hang items of all shapes and sizes.
- To enhance the look of your pegboard, opt for a color pegboard or paint it yourself. Just remember to avoid covering the holes!
- Turn it into a minimalist equipment organizer by using hooks to hang your tools.
A smart, storage system can work wonders in any messy garage. Keep your home organized and mess-free with these smart tips.
Ready for your own ingenious garage or overhead door? Looking for skillful maintenance and repairs? We can make it happen. Contact your nearest NationServe location, get a product quote, or request a service call today.