Choosing a garage door opener that’s right for you
When investing in a new garage door, it’s easy to get caught up in all the design choices available for your door. Should you choose the old-world charm of a carriage-house door? Or should you go with the durability of classic steel or the energy efficiency of fiberglass? However, don’t forget that the garage door opener that you choose is just as important as the actual door. Although it may not catch your eye like the door itself, the opener is essential for making sure the door functions smoothly, opens safely, and locks securely. Since the garage is often one of the primary entrances to your home, and the place where you keep your car and other valuables, you’ll want a garage door opener you can rely on to keep you and your family safe.
At NationServe, we know that a durable and elegant garage door will be more worthwhile if it’s paired with a high-caliber garage door opener. As America’s garage door specialists, we’re here to help you find the garage door opener that’s just right for your household.
What are the different types of garage door openers?
There are a few different types of garage door openers, all of which we offer here at NationServe:
- Chain drive. A chain-driven opener uses a chain attached to the garage door that moves along a track to raise and lower the door.
- Screw-drive. A screw-driven opener works by rotating a threaded rod, which moves a mechanism that raises and lowers the door. Screw-driven garage door openers don’t always do well in extreme temperatures and may not perform as well in places with intense heat like Tucson.
- Belt drive. A belt-driven opener works similarly to a chain drive but uses a rubber belt instead of a metal chain that raises and lowers the door as it moves along a track.
- Jackshaft. A more recent development in garage door openers, a jackshaft opener is mounted on the wall rather than the ceiling of the garage and connects to the door’s torsion bar to lift it up and down. They tend to be used more for commercial overhead doors but can sometimes be used in residential garages if you want to save overhead space.
Chain drive vs. Belt drive: Pros and Cons
Chain drive and belt drive garage door openers are by far the most common types of garage door openers on the market, and so chances are you’ll end up choosing between them for your opener. There are benefits to both, and which one is right for you will depend on your specific situation, needs, and preferences.
Chain drive garage door openers are the oldest type of garage door opener and generally the most affordable option. They’re very dependable and durable and can lift even very heavy two- to three-car garage doors. The main drawback to chain-driven openers is that they tend to be very noisy—some homeowners (and their neighbors!) find the sound of the metal chain grinding difficult to bear.
Belt drives are a more recent type of garage door opener and tend to be more expensive. However, many experts consider them to be the best variety of garage door opener available. Belt-driven openers are much quieter than chain-driven openers and tend to operate more smoothly. However, they typically need to be replaced more often than chain drives.
What kinds of garage door openers does NationServe offer?
At NationServe, we offer a wide selection of superior-quality Genie and Liftmaster garage door openers. Many of the models are Security 2.0 garage door openers that offer encrypted communication so that your garage opens only for you. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Genie Intellig® Pro Series Model 4024. This sophisticated garage door opener is not only powerful and reliable but also equipped with additional features for safety and convenience, such as motion sensor lighting and GenieSenseTM Monitoring and Diagnostic Technology. It’s also available as either a belt or chain drive application.
- Genie Reliag® Pro Series Model 1028. This garage door opener is easy to operate and ready to use right out of the box for maximum convenience. It’s also available as either a belt or chain drive application.
- LiftMaster 8165 Garage Door Opener. This dependable and durable opener is ultra-quiet, making it an ideal choice for families looking for an opener that’s both affordable and easy on the ears.
- LiftMaster Elite Series® 8500 Wall Mount. If you’re looking to save overhead space in your garage, then the wall-mounted LiftMaster Elite Series model 8500 is the right choice for you. The innovative opener is also equipped with advanced security measures including a Power Lock Deadbolt and Time-to-Close feature to ensure that the door doesn’t stay open and unlocked for long periods of time.
- Liftmaster Elite Series® 8587 and 8587W. This high-powered chain-driven garage door opener is designed to handle even the heaviest of doors with ease. Like many of the other LiftMaster garage door openers that we offer, it can connect to Wi-Fi so you can control your garage door remotely from your smartphone.
At NationServe, we know that quality garage door openers can make all the difference when it comes to the safety, efficiency, and convenience of your garage door. We’re committed to helping you find the right garage door and garage door opener for your home and offering you exceptional garage door service wherever you’re located in the country, from Cincinnati to Houston to Tucson and beyond. Get in touch with us today to find out more about your local NationServe team!