Ensure your opener is operating at its best.
- Mount the garage door opener control button out of the reach of small children and at least five feet from the floor.
- Don't allow children to play with the garage door remote control as a toy.
- Explain to your family how to operate the door safely.
- Know how to use your garage door opener's emergency release feature by reading the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Test your opener's reversing mechanism monthly by placing a 2" x 4" board in the door’s path.
- If the door doesn't reverse after contacting the object, contact us today for professional repair.
Learn more about testing your reversing mechanisms and sensors with regular maintenance tips.
- Visually inspect your garage door each month.
- Look at the garage door’s springs, cables, rollers, and pulleys for signs of wear.
- If any of these components appear damaged, contact us for inspection or repair.
- Don't attempt to repair cables or springs. Improper handling or disconnection can cause breakage and serious injury.
- To prevent accidents when a garage door is closing, invest in a garage door opener that features photoelectric eye sensor beams.
- Sensors are mounted a few inches off the floor and send an invisible beam across the door’s path.
- If the invisible beam is broken, the garage door will automatically reverse to its fully open position.
- The invisible beam provides added safety to the auto reverse mechanism, as the door doesn't have to contact an object in order to reverse.
- Sensor beams are a standard feature on Genie Pro Openers and most other garage openers.
Planning a vacation or staying away from your home or business for longer than a few days? Keep your property and belongings secure.
- Unplug the garage or overhead door opener unit.
- Consider purchasing a door opener with rolling code technology, which changes the access codes each time the transmitter is used.
- Never leave the remote control in your car or with a parking attendant. Treat it like a house key.
- Always lock the door from the door leading from inside your garage to inside your home or business.
- Open or close your garage door from anywhere in the world with Genie's Aladdin or LiftMaster's MyQ technology.
For safety information specific to your model, contact us or consult your user manual.
Want to learn more about residential garage door and commercial overhead door safety?